Tips for other writers
My current tasks
While I wait for the launch of my debut novel “Reckless Beginnings” my current task is to promote it, gain awareness, build a following and have a platform. Let me tell you, writing the book was the easy part. Phew, this part is exhausting. I plan on sharing with you what I am doing to promote my book, what I have achieved so far and my future tasks for promotion.
Estimated release date of the book
Currently, the book is in the early stages of editing. I’ve been told this is the most grueling part of the publication process. This first stage can take up to 5-6 weeks before It is returned to me to view and comment and return back to the editor for more editing. The estimated time for the release date is anywhere from 6-10 months depending on the editing time and cover design. This gives me plenty of time to work on promoting the book and build awareness and hopefully a following.
Tips for promoting a book
To gain awareness and have a successful book launch, you need to reach as many people as possible. You want to create a buzz, get people involved and excited about your upcoming novel.
Here are some methods I’m using to promote my book.
Have a website /blog
I launched a website www.tinahogangrant.com last month. Your website is your platform/stage. Make sure your content includes the following:
- An introduction page with a picture of yourself.
- A page dedicated to just your book. Tell people about it. Include a blurb. Give updates on the publishing process
- A contact page
- A blog. In your blog write about what interests you, your journey with your book, tips for other writers. Get people involved. Ask for feedback, comments. Plan on doing a blog at least once a week with new material and content. This keeps the website fresh and gives you a constant presence.
- Have social media buttons on every page, allowing readers to share your posts.
Once your website is up. Do the following
- Submit to the major search engines. Here is a useful site for doing just that. https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/sem/search_engine_submission.htm
- Submit a Sitemap to Google. Here is a link to create and submit a sitemap. http://www.2createawebsite.com/traffic/create-google-sitemap.html
Get involved in social media
Social media is a huge asset when it comes to promotions and reaching out to people. People tend to share posts they like with their friends and so on, thus gaining you more exposure and hopefully bringing them to your site. When you publish a blog be sure to post it on all your social media accounts. Here is a list of the social media accounts I currently publish my blog on and share updates regarding the book.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tina.Hogan.Grant.Author/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/TinaHoganGrant
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tina_hogan_grant/
- Pinerest: https://www.pinterest.com/tinahogangrant/pins/
- Stumbleupon: https://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/tinahogangrant?
- Tumble: https://tinahogangrant.tumblr.com
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tina-hogan-grant-377864141/
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11947664-tina
Spend time with each social media account and include the following
- A detailed descriptive profile
- A good clear photo ( I suggest using the same photo for all accounts.so you become recognizable.)
- Find your niche/niches. List it/them in your profile. Use hashtags if possible. I use the following keywords: writer, author, writing tips, books, reading, bookworm.
- Find and follow people with similar keywords/interests. Comment on their posts. Interact and be seen.
- Share all your new blogs/posts with these sites with direct links to your homepage on your website.
- Be consistent with your posts. It does take times to build a following, it’s not going to happen overnight.
Each of these accounts needs some quality time to research, explore and learn the correct methods of posting.
I’m still learning myself and exploring each account, discovering what each has to offer.
I plan on doing detailed blogs for each account in the near future.
Future ideas for promoting
Here are some additional tips for promoting your book. These I plan on doing in the near future. Once I have the social media accounts figured out.
- Have friends host a book launching party with a chance to win a free signed copy.
- Ask the local library to host an author’s book signing event.
- Attend the LA book fair.
- Be a guest blogger.
- Do podcast interview.
To sum it up
As you can see, there is quite a bit of work involved when it comes to promoting a book. These are just some of my ideas and plans. I hope they help you and if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Below are some more of my writing tips